1775 - Georgian Town House

 

 

After the Great Fire of 1666, tight new regulations all but outlawed timber in house construction in London. Heights of rooms, materials to be used -everything was carefully specified. This strict control of building gradually increased until it is now impossible to build a house or modify an existing one without the approval of authority. The legal requirements of the early 18th century would help define the classic Georgian town house - a parapet roof with projecting party walls (to prevent fire spreading), window frames set back for the same reason, the absence of external orna­ment. For over a century elegant and uniform terraces conforming to these rules were put up by speculative builders, who built first and found buyers afterwards. The grander houses were often only occupied for part of the year, their owners spending the rest of the time on their country estates. These town houses, classically proportioned, were tall to make maximum use of restricted ground space. Servants — accommodated in basements and garrets - were kept busy running up and down several flights of stairs to the family rooms.

1750 – Brick-built House

1800 - Weaver’s cottage