Manor Farm Dairy at the corner of Queen's Parade and Queen's Avenue about 1915.
Milk was ladled from the churns into the customer's own jug.

Building in Wilton Rd had not been started in 1901, but by 1903/4 was partly developed. In 1905 the Hornsey Journal was advertising seven roomed houses for £425, or £40 a year rent. Sutton Rd was not in the 1903/4 Directory, but had been fully developed by 1911.

It seems probable that the company had hoped to sell land as building lots right to the bottom Coppets Road, because in 1925, the fields opposite the Isolation Hospital and down to the stream at the bottom, were called 'The Waste Lots'. Presumably these were building lots which had not sold. Perhaps one day someone will find an estate develop­ment map in some lost archive.

Friern Manor Dairy Farm Limited was a very large concern with twenty-six shops all over London and a Chief Office in Hatton Garden, E.C. In 1929 the firm had become the United Dairies ( London ) Ltd (Park Farm).

Some districts have preserved maps giving the old field names from centuries ago. Romantic names like Primrose Meadow, Milking Field, Lark Field, Cowslip Meadow, are all to be found, for example, on the Stoke Newington Estate Map, which I published in The Growth of Stoke Newington, but we have no such details about Coppetts Farm. About 1900 a developer bought a single field on the other side of Coppetts Road, almost opposite the farmhouse. It is shown on the 1893-4 map leading straight to the edge of Coldfall Woods, just wide enough to take a central road and two rows of houses. This became Coldfall Avenue, where the houses were to stand by themselves, with fields on either side and the woods at the end, for over twenty years. According to the Street Directory the road was fully developed by 1903/4, with houses bearing romantic names such as Darien, Haycote, The Ferns, Wisteria arid Lucerne.

31

 

Page 30
Page 32