Anthony Salvin married his cousin, William Nesfield's'sister Anne, to whom he had been secretly engaged for some years. By 1833 they had two children. They had to move into the country for the sake of their son's health and chose Finchley because Salvin needed easy access to rapid coach travel. The Bald Faced Stag was then a coaching inn and from here Salvin could travel quickly to town, via the new Archway Road, or north to his many prosperous clients.
Salvin took a sixty year lease at £100 a year on a large house in East End Road, called Elm House, later renamed Elmhurst. It had a ten acre paddock and a large garden over looking Bishop's Wood, stables and a coach house. The house probably dated from the sixteenth century, but had been substantially rebuilt and extended. Salvin immediately built on a new drawing room and dining room, making a total of twentyfive rooms.