Early London Maps
We now begin to show the story of the expansion of London which was to extend far beyond St. Marylebone and Paddington. Ogilby's Map of Middlesex, 1672, shows the twin cities of London and Westminster built as an arc on the north bank of the Thames, with the marshes of the south bank virtually empty. Tottenham Court was then a private estate, while Paddington was an isolated village at a road fork. It is marked on the wrong side of Edgware Road, while Marylebone and Lisson Grove are not shown at all.