Industry in Lisson Grove
In the nineteenth century there was little planned zoning of industrial and residential use. Towards the end of the century this was proposed for New Towns like Welwyn Garden City and Letchworth but in London, factories and houses stood side by side, or one above the other. Some small industry was carried out in rooms in the houses, kitchens next to workshops.
This piece of the 1891 Goad Map, bordered by Edgware Road, Church Street, Carlisle Street (now Penfold Street) and Earl Street (now Broadley Street) shows a typical mixed pattern of shops and dwellings. The Edgware Road shops were under construction at the time, thus dating the fine wrought iron gates with the initials PKS still standing between Nos. 366 and 368 Edgware Rd. These led to the extensive premises of Peter Keevil & Sons, provision merchants, who had their gas engine and smoke houses next to stables and a cow shed, a Church Army lodgings house and a bedding factory. There was also a wallpaper factory with a printer's above, a smithy and a Union Hall and lecture theatre. The whole block must have been a hive of activity, with children able to watch people earning their livings, as they went with jugs to buy raw milk from the cow shed, or crept into the warm of the smithy door. They were brought up surrounded by skills and trades and absorbed the atmosphere of manufacture. Modern children very seldom see any industry and think that goods come shrink wrapped in plastic, from the planet Zog.
Goad Insurance Map, 1891