Building Wharncliffe Gardens on Punkers's Barn


Wharncliffe Gardens, in 1910

Ordnance Survey of
Wharncliffe Gardens, 1915

In the 1890s the Grand Central Railway sliced down Lisson Grove from Lord's to Marylebone Road, destroying many houses and scattering tenants to the winds. Eventually the Railway Company built blocks of five-storey flats, named after the Chairman of the Company, to house their workers. They were typical of industrial buildings of the period - five floors high, heated by coal and without lifts.


Map of the district circa 1936, redrawn by A.H. Ahern.
By permission of Westminster History Archive.

 

Page 171
Page 173
Updated October 19, 2011