Marylebone Grammar School
About 1900, the Philological School, like many private secondary schools at that time, was feeling the pinch. Their education had been based on book learning, which was relatively cheap to provide. They could not afford the science and other teaching facilities which were becoming necessary for modern education. The London County Council agreed to fund the school in return for free places for its brightest pupils. The school then changed its name to the Marylebone Grammar School (later to be the founder of the Saracens Rugby Club).