Boyton Place, which was Demolished to Build The School

The area north of Bell Street was covered in two and three-storey houses which, in their day, had been attractive places to live in, but became sorely overcrowded and delapidated later. Similar houses elsewhere in the 1960s were being restored and gentrified by middle-class people and today sell for large sums of money. Chelsea is full of similar houses. It was a narrow street running from Penfold Street to Lisson Street, with a central bollard at each end to keep out the traffic.

In 1960 the street became the site of the foyer of Rutherford School (which became part of North Westminster Community School and is now part of Westminster Academy). Today, standing quietly in the foyer after school, when the children have gone, one can hear the people in the vanished houses on each side talking as they eat their evening meals. A child is going to The Brazen Head pub for the evening beer. Outside one house is a handcart, for nothing larger than that could get past the bollards. People are hurriedly loading it with their few household possessions, before flitting away without paying the rent.

Years later a much loved lady was born in Boyton Place. Her house was demolished to make room for the school and she later returned to work in the school kitchens which had been built on the site of her old house.


Boyton Place in 1955, with Christchurch Buildings' across the end.1


Footnote

  1. Picture from Marylebone Mercury, 15 April, 1955
Page 192
Page 194
Updated July 5, 2011