Paddington Goods Yard being demolished, May 1986
By 1942 the railway coal lines had been replaced by garages for vans, with offices above, while the part of the Vestry Stone Yard on that side of the canal had been taken over as a Shell-Mex petrol store. At this period petrol was carried in 50 gallon drums and many canal basins had similar stores. On thee opposite bank, all the coal, hay and cement wharves had gone, to be replace by sheet metal and car repair shops. Road transport was beginning to take over.
In AD 2000 the situation is changing even more drastically. The Railway Goods Yard is to be completely redeveloped. A large, mixed estate was planned, with commercial properties, 210 apartments, and a small retail district of 60,000 sq. ft. to serve the estate.
Two pedestrian bridges were to the estate to Rembrant Gardens, in Little Venice, and, across the canal, to the Maida Vale subway at the end of North Wharf Road. In addition, a pedestrian walkway under Bishop's Bridge Road would lead to the northern end of Paddington Station.
In the years since 2000 the Estate has been built and towers of flats have risen above Westway.
The new development by architects Siddel Gibson for the Goods Yard site,