The 1848 Tithe Map of Stoke Newington Church Street.
This 1848 tithe map shows every property in Stoke Newington in 1848. The future site of William Patten Junior School was on the two copyholds numbered 519 & 520. The same bend in the Stoke Newington Church Street still exists by the school gate.
In early times Stoke Newington was a Manor, held by St Paul’s Cathedral. A copyhold was a piece of land held by the person’s name (male or female) being entered in the manor rolls (records). The person holding the land in this way was a copyholder. A copyholder did not own the land but had the right to use it for a certain period of time.
St Paul ’s Cathedral, as owners of the Manor, had had the right to one tenth of the produce of the land from Norman times. It was a clumsy and time-consuming process so by 1848, almost all of this had been changed into a cash rent. There are details of this in the Darlington Sales of 1810 and 1921 on the website.
Hackney Archive has a magnificent coloured copy of this map on three large sheets. All the tithe maps come from this copy by the kind permission of the Archivist.
1868 Ordnance Survey
In 1868 houses lined both sides of the High Street and Stoke Newington Church Street, but most of the ground behind was still fields. The two copyholds which became the school site were between the figures 91 and 89. These are spot heights on road and have nothing to do with the school of course.
A detail of the two copyholds in the 1848 map.
The two houses and gardens which became the
school site have been coloured in.
They had houses at the street end and long gardens. The larger one had lots of trees, probably fruit trees, and a greenhouse crossed in, while the narrower one was much more modest.
Between 1868 and the next map of 1894 there was a development which has completely disappeared.
Before the School was built
Print No HAP11422 (Hackney Archive)
These Church Street houses had been built on copyholds 519 and 520. They were all demolished to make room for the new Board School. The drawing shows Storer’s Forge, a couple of dwelling houses, and the corner of Rigsby’s Buildings on the left. These Buildings are numbered 3-9 on the plan above.
1894 Ordnance Survey
Run the mouse over this and later maps to show the school site.
Click on the map to see a bigger map of the area around the school.
Church Street School had been built in 1892, so this is the first map to show the new school building.
1914 0rdnance Survey map
Very little seems to have changed on the map between 1894 and 1914. There is a Hall in the playground. Perhaps someone will find a picture of it someday. By counting the houses from the corner of Lancell Street one could find how many of the buildings still exist, and if some have been absorbed by the school. Notice that in 1914, Lancell Street had houses on both sides. Today the school grounds cover one side of the road and these houses have disappeared.
1936 0rdnance Survey map
This invaluable map records the damage suffered by the local houses during the war. The colours in the key indicate the seriousness of the damage.
The 1939-45 Bombing map of the area near William Patten Primary School
|Colour Key References||
|Black -Total destruction||Orange - General blast damage, not structural|
|Purple - Damaged beyond repair||Yellow - Blast damage, minor in nature|
|Dark Red - Doubtful if repairable||O||V1 flying bomb||large circle|
|Light Red - Seriously damaged, but repairable at cost||o||V2 long range rocket||small circle|
| There will be slight variations in the colours because the original maps
are old and the colour balance on computer monitors will vary
Uses of the Bombing Map on this website
Apparently the school itself was not much affected by the bombing. It suffered only minor blast damage but some houses close by were badly damaged. A Flying Bomb fell on Defoe Road, completely destroying some flats (Black) and seriously damaging many otherbuildings nearby (Purple, Dark Red). The different circles of colour show how the damage spread outwards from the centre of impact. Of course not all the damage was caused by the Defoe Road flying bomb. Other damage would have been caused by other incidents as well. There was serious damage at the corner of Dynevor Road. Again the circles of colour show how the damage spread. The houses near the school are coloured yellow, meaning ‘Blast damage, minor in nature’. These houses would have been patched up and then repaired more carefully later. We shall hear more about these houses, in another context, in the 1970s.
It is impossible to understand the pattern of old and new building in the area without reference to this map. Black or Dark Red – new buildings. Light Red and Yellow – probably repaired. It is the key to understanding why some houses in a street are old and others are new.
Information on the LCC London Bombing Map book
and copyright conditions on its images
The Aerial view of William Patten School Site with
Church Street running along the top, Google 2007